Polyamorous NYC is the only Poly organization in the nation designed specifically to serve the needs of the Gay, Lesbian, Bi & Trans community. The group is diverse, including individuals, couples and groups of various ethnicities and genders. What brings us together is our shared interest in long-term, romantically-committed, multiple-partner relationships and a love of the GLBT way of life.
The mission of Polyamorous NYC is to encourage the growth of community and culture among Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender people in New York City who are interested or involved in multiple-partner relationships.
Some of the ways we accomplish this are:
- Provide welcoming safe spaces to use as inspiring forums for constructive discussions about polyamory;
- Facilitate these discussions in a manner that is rational, intelligent and free from homophobia;
- Help build self-awareness and self-esteem about polyamory among individuals, relationships and families within the Polyamorous community;
- Use media, plan events, and design programs to elevate the visibility of polyamory to society at large as a valid and viable relationship option;
- Build strategic alliances with other organizations and communities;
- Explore and address Polyamorous issues specific to Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender people in everything we do.
The monthly Polyamorous NYC discussion meetings occur on the third Wednesday of every month at the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Community Center. Each meeting typically centers on a topic, chosen in advance by the facilitator. For more information about the types of topics we discuss, below is a list of some topics from past meetings. If you miss a meeting, and want to learn about what transpired, click on the topic name for a full summary.
March 2008: The Twelve Pillars of Polyamory [Word doc] by Ken Haslam
November 2007: Exploring Intimacy in Poly Relationships [Word doc]
June 2007: How to Create Emotional Safety with your Poly Partners [Word doc]
March 2007: Do's and Don'ts For Having Healthy Polyamorous Relationships
October 2006: Having Integrity in Your Polyamorous Relationships
August 2006: Advanced Tools for Polyamory [PowerPoint file]
June 2006: What's the Big Deal?: Watching "Big Love" and Legalizing Polygamy
April 2006: How to End Your Relationships
Read our Statement on AIDS Denialism